Curious Artists: Empty City
This year's theme is Empty City and we’re looking for wildly courageous artists who are asking provocative questions to explore new territories with us—and with their medium.
Successful project pitches are those that offer a compelling response to the theme, and have the potential to teach us something new.
As part of our legacy of learning, we will document the outcomes of this project and share what we learn with our communities and the public.
WHAT IS THE PROPOSED SCHEDULE?
We have three offices—one each in Victoria, Vancouver, and Edmonton. You must reside in the corresponding city to submit an application for residency.
- Residency 1 will be held in Victoria, and will run ten weeks, from January to March, 2021.
- Residency 2 will be held in Vancouver, and will run ten weeks, from April to June, 2021.
- Residency 3 will be held in Edmonton, and will run ten weeks, from July to September, 2021.
Please indicate in your application which single residency you wish to apply for.
HOW WILL MY APPLICATION BE EVALUATED?
A board of Residency Committee Members will review proposals that demonstrate clear deliverables and careful thought put toward the time, resources, and required funds.
HOW ARE ARTISTS SUPPORTED?
We’ll provide a CAD 3,500 honorarium and cover an approved list of materials and budget costs upon review.
You'll have access to office space if required and people at HCMA to assist with concept development, running the workshop, marketing, and installation. We’re also open to discussing what support looks like for you.
HOW WILL WE WORK TOGETHER?
In consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic, you can work based on your comfort level and adherence to the latest health guidelines. Physical presence in an HCMA office is not a requirement of this project, but finding effective ways to safely engage with HCMA staff will be critical. You will also have access to any resources within HCMA.
WHAT DO I NEED TO SUBMIT?
Pitch us below and submit the following information in one PDF, by November 25, 2020:
- Your name and contact info, including your email address
- The city of the residency you wish to apply for
- A biography and statement (300 words max.)
- A brief outline of what you envision your project being (300 words max.)
- An idea for a workshop related to your project and/or practice, that you are willing to host for the HCMA team
- A rough estimate of your budget and materials
- Links to previous work and your website / social media are preferred, but if not possible, please submit images as part of your PDF submission to a maximum of four pages
WHAT ARE THE FINAL DELIVERABLES?
Final outcomes of a residency may be in any medium and in any genre related to the theme. Please propose your ideas.
In the interest of facilitating learning and knowledge exchange between residing artists and the HCMA team, residing artists are asked to host a workshop for the team. Support will be provided by HCMA team members.
HCMA is committed to supporting artists however they may choose to self-identify. We encourage everyone to submit an application for a residency.