hcma is looking for a leader to manage a small maker space within our Vancouver office as well as supporting smaller fabrication efforts in our other two offices.
The Maker Lead will have experience with a variety of fabrication methods and tools and a passion for sharing their knowledge with others. They have a deep level of curiosity and a continual desire to learn and test material expressions.
The maker space will support the design process and explorations of various ongoing projects as well as explore making inspiring objects on its own. The maker space is equipped with a laser cutter, 3D printers, and other model-making tools with the anticipation of expanding tools and resources under the development of Maker Lead.
hcma is a collective of passionate people with diverse backgrounds, expertise, and interests. We believe human connections are key to tackling the fundamental problems of our time, and strive to create solutions that ignite conversation and build compassionate communities. We’re constantly learning, evolving, and approaching the world around us with a curious eye.
What you’ll do:
- Production of models in collaboration with architectural, comms design, and artists in residence designers
- Encouraging design teams in their explorations
- Mentoring and assisting machine users
- Supporting model making efforts in other hcma offices
- Material experimentation and mockups
- Maintaining equipment in proper working order
- Managing workshop budget
- Managing material inventory
- Managing shop safety procedures and enforcing safety policies
- Cleaning and maintaining a safe work environment
Ideally, you bring:
- A strong portfolio showing excellence in physical modeling, fabrication methods, and design iteration
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple teams
- Experience working in an architectural office environment
- Experience using workshop machine related software and an ability to navigate other design software; Revit, Rhino, AutoCAD, Adobe, Sketchup
- Ability to be self-motivated and self-manage time and contributions to physical design efforts needed by teams and other initiatives
- Demonstrated curiosity and diversity of interests and applications
What we offer:
- Colleagues working across architecture, social impact, communications design, and sustainability
- A diverse range of projects with purpose-driven clients who share hcma’s values
- The chance to help a small, friendly, and ambitious interior design team grow
- Exploratory firm initiatives including an artist-in-residence program, hcma Day, and various community events
- The stability and resources of an established but forward-thinking firm committed to pushing the social impact of design
If this opportunity excites you, we would like to hear from you. Please send along your resume and a cover letter that explains what you bring to this position and why hcma is the right place for you.
Please send your submission to email@example.com. Thank you for your interest, we will contact those selected for an interview. No phone calls, please.