Are you driven by impact? We are hcma, an interdisciplinary design firm driven by the desire to create happier, healthier, more connected communities. We are looking for a Sustainable Building Advisor to join our team of specialists that support the practice of advancing project performance across hcma’s portfolio.
This role supports senior advisors and design teams to set performance goals, guide and inform design decisions, verify performance, and communicate results. Specifically, it supports LEED certification for range of projects, at all stages of design and construction. This role will be key to embedding the foundation of building performance and into our design practice.
This role also contributes to a range of initiatives and activities that support our commitment to sustainability and social impact including advisory services, operations, advocacy, and research. It is aligned with HCMA’s desire to practice sustainability holistically, with an emphasis on human experience and social impact.
The role is dynamic and requires undertaking a number of tasks in a support capacity including project context and site research, green building rating system documentation and coordination, technical building performance analysis, materials attributes research, compiling resources and maintaining knowledge management platforms.
This intermediate role is part of a multi-disciplinary team of specialists that support the practice in advancing project performance across HCMA’s portfolio. This role supports senior advisors and specialists working with design teams to set performance goals, guide and inform design decisions, verify performance, and communicate results. The primary function of this position is to quantify impacts of design decisions as they relate to a range of building performance aspects, using established methods of assessment and analysis. In addition, the role contributes to a range of initiatives and activities that support our commitment to sustainability and social impact including operations, advocacy and research. While this role is largely focused on building performance, it is aligned with HCMA’s desire to practice sustainability holistically, with an emphasis on human experience and social impact. This role both contributes to and draws on the range of specialists on the Impact Team and across the firm.
- Conduct project context research including current and future climate conditions, social and cultural context, applicable codes and regulatory conditions and other information as required;
- Support senior practitioners with early-stage design analysis including daylighting, energy and emissions benchmarking, and life cycle assessment;
- Support senior practitioners to perform design reviews and provide design guidance;
- With support from senior practitioners, coordinate and manage the application of green building rating systems including LEED, Passive House, The Living Building Challenge, and Zero Carbon Building Program.
- Coordinate consultant deliverables for certification programs;
- Contribute to scopes of work that support policy development, guidelines and industry resources for low carbon and high performance buildings;
- Contribute to practice enhancement, maintain advanced understanding of green building February 2022 technologies, trends & design principles;
- Contribute to project deliverables such as building performance calculations and summary reports;
- Assist the team in developing visual reports and project correspondence;
- Help develop and/or improve internal processes and templates and promote best practices across the organization.
Required skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Demonstrated understanding of low energy and low carbon design strategies;
- Knowledge of the principles of sustainable design;
- Exposure to the LEED and the Passive House Certification Program;
- Exposure to a range of building performance analysis including thermal bridging and envelope assessment, daylight and glare simulation, Life Cycle Analysis.
- Exposure to whole building energy modelling/simulation.
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills; attention to detail and strong work ethic;
- Ability to learn quickly and incorporate feedback into future work;
- Strong oral and written communication skills including presentation skills;
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and adapt to shifting priorities;
- Collaborative mindset and proven ability to work in a team environment with success;
- Some proficiency in BIM. Experience with Rhino and Bug Suite an asset.
- Proficiency MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite.
Education & Experience:
- Degree in Architecture, Engineering or Building Science.
- Certified Passive House Designer or Consultant
- LEED AP BD+C
- 5-7 years of professional experience
Is this you? Apply now.
If this opportunity excites you and you’d like to learn more, please reach out to us. We’d love to see your resume, and more importantly, know more about you – what you are passionate about and why hcma might be right for you.