Artist in Residence: Delightful Unburdening
Our 2023 Artist in Residence (AIR) program is now open for applications!
Are you wildly courageous, curiosity driven and asking provocative questions? We invite you to explore new territories with us through this year’s theme Delightful Unburdening.
We welcome creatives, makers, thinkers, tinkerers, performers, innovators, with an engaging idea from all disciplines and at any stage in your practice. We are looking for creators who are pushing the boundaries of their work, who are asking challenging questions, and who are comfortable sharing their passion and process with us.
You can respond to prompts below or feel free to introduce your own new ideas based on the theme of Delightful Unburdening:
- Creating expressions of relief, release, glee, surprise, weightlessness, in the everyday mundane.
- Finding delight in unburdening; is it a result or a process?
- Who do you unburden with, or for?
- Moving beyond the now to transform.
- How do we let “change,” change things?
About the Residency
The Artist in Residence program at hcma is experimental and exploratory – what happens when we’re exposed to different forms of creativity, while we share our world of architecture and design with others?
Each artist in residence will receive an artist fee of $3,500 CAD and a project materials budget of $1,500 CAD.
hcma has offices in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Victoria. Each hcma office will host a 10-week paid residency staggered throughout the year:
- Edmonton: Feb 2023
- Victoria: July 2023
- Vancouver: Aug 2023
Your project does not need to culminate in a specific work or output after 10 weeks, however hosting a staff workshop based on your project and hosting a final wrap up presentation about your experience is a requirement of the residency.
Through the residency you’re invited to respond to the theme and bring your project into the office to collaborate with our teams. We offer in-office space for you to work on your project, and opportunities for connection with our transdisciplinary staff teams.
Applications are due January 29, 2023 at 11:59 PST. Please enter your contact details, and upload one PDF document with the following information:
- Your name and contact info, including your email address
- The city of the residency you wish to apply for: Vancouver, Edmonton or Victoria. (Preference will be given to artists who reside in the city to which they are applying.)
- A biography and artist statement (300 words maximum)
- A brief outline of what you envision your project will be (300 words maximum)
- An idea for a workshop related to your project and/or practice, that you are willing to host for hcma’s team
- A rough estimate of your project budget/expenses and project materials up to $1,500 CAD maximum
- Submit examples of your previous work:
- Links to your website / social media
- OR images or other attachments as part of your PDF submission to a maximum of four pages
- OR upload a video to introduce yourself, showcase examples of your work and your idea
Want to see more? Take a peek at the work by previous Artists in Residence.